- Created on Wednesday, 23 November 2011 01:08
- Written by by Alia Haley
- Category: Getaways
Italy is one of the biggest repositories of sensorial delights on this earth - from sensational and wide-ranging countryside to flamboyant fashion, food to art. A trip to Italy is all about imbibing the lifestyle, slugging over a coffee at a street side cafe or relaxing over a long lunch in the hot Mediterranean sun.
10 things one must do in Italy:
1. In Sorrento - Cliff Diving: You can climb up the steep cliffs many meters above the deep blue sea beneath and then jump off from there. It’s very famous among the locals specially the young boys. But if you are not strong at heart then you should not try this.
2. In Cinque Terre - Watching the Sunset and Drinking Wine: You will have an awesome experience when you will sit on the rocks during the dusk watching the fishing boats pulling up, enjoying in the sea breeze, with a locally made red wine.
3. In Napoli Eating Pizza: You trip will be incomplete if you go back home without trying the famous pizza. It’s a must during your Italy tour.
4. Drinking too much Grappa: Grappa is Italy’s fire water. It is made by distilling the leftovers of the grapes after making the wine.
5. Pay a visit to the Pope: On Wednesday at around 10am many locals, Nuns, Priests and Tourists gather at the Piazza San Pietro to listen to the weekly address from his holiness Pope Benedict XVI. After that you can visit the Basilica and the crypt where the remains of St Peter’s are kept.
6. The leaning tower of Pisa: Everyone who comes here must take a photo in which he/she is holding the tower with their hands or fingers and then climb it.
7. Make a wish by tossing a coin into the Trevi Fountain: You just need to take a coin in your right hand and throw it into the fountain over your left shoulder. Throwing a different number of coin into the fountain has a different means like 1 coin means return to Rome again, 2 coins means return to Rome and getting kiss and 3 coins means return to Rome and getting married. This money is regularly collected by the authority and used for charity.
8. A Visit to the Sistine Chapel: It was created by Michelangelo in situ. He frequently painted directly onto the wet plaster through freehand. In the painting one could see the Papal outbursts, financial difficulties, wars, and many other problems. It was finally got completed after 4 years in 1512.
9. Experiencing Venice – The watery city: During the winter rains the lagoon gets flooded and when the tide is often so high that it can reach to your knees. Hence, the residents out there have increased the platforms so that everyone can take a walk on the planks without any difficulty around Piazza San Marco and enjoy the same.
10. In Chianti - Wine Tasting: Here you will get only the best wine of the world because everyone have to follow the strict and severe production standards which is set by the Consortium and thus it’s hard to find a bad one.
However, this is not the end of the list. There are much more to see in this beautiful country from various cities, places, museums, art, culture, fashion, etc for which one must select Italy for their vacations. But one must remember to do a detailed research about the places and plan their trip accordingly depending on their budget.
About the author: Alia Haley is a blogger and writer. She loves writing on technology and luxury. Beside this she is fond of autos. She is planning to go on a beach this weekend. Her article on blue ridge mountains was appreciated a lot by her readers.